Thursday, October 27, 2011

Blog Love: October

Here's another round of blog posts I loved this month! Hope you enjoy these ideas!

Differentiation Daily (Paula Kluth)
  • A new website devoted to visual recipes: Recipics! I appreciate that this site has more complex recipes versus the perennial favorites - Gorp, Chex Mix, and Mud Pies. Something that would be great for those cooking groups that we might have in our schools, some differentiated instruction for FCE classes, and/or some daily living skills instruction that might need to take place.
  • Fun idea for getting all learners involved with vocabulary learning - whether it be synonyms, antonyms, idioms, figurative language ....
  • Notebooking for social studies - can be used by the student as a learning support AND by the team as a running record of the student's progress and work.
  • Multiplication punch card: as a person who may hoard cute paper items, I had to say "aww" about this. It also might be a good motivator for some of our students!
  • Blackout poetry: great idea for literacy instruction. I am excited to try this with many of my more poetic-leaning students and teams.
  • Reader of the Week: what a memorable experience for students! I can only imagine how special they must feel! And how yummy is it that it's around literacy experiences?
  • Have any Legos or Duplos hanging around your house or classroom? Here's a fun repurposing of them with literacy in mind! Great idea for those who find writing to be burdensome (or those who have a passion for everything Legos!).

Assistive Technology Blog (Virginia Department of Education)
  • Coordinate grid stamper: how did I not think of this? I just bought a name stamp for a student the other day! What a time saver.
  • If you're trying desperately to keep up with all the new AAC (alternative and augmentative communication) apps that are available for Apple products, use this site to lessen the weight of your load!

LetterSoup
  • Stickman stories: a cool potential twist on social narratives or even a way to engage kids in literacy instruction/activities.

Teaching Learners with Multiple Special Needs
  • The ultimate list of communication symbol sets, sites, and so on! Bookmark this one.
  • Getting tired of velcro and manipulatives as pencil and paper alternatives? Magnetic math tiles: 'nuff said.
  • Masking devices: I've been using this one at a bunch of my schools this year. A great support solution for focusing attention.
  • I have used an adaptation toolbox for many years, thanks to the teachings of one of my graduate school professors. Here is a helpful listing of items you might want to include. I am definitely planning some of these to my kit!