Saturday, January 19, 2013

"High Functioning or Low Functioning? Yes, I am!"

Most weeks I encounter well intentioned staff and families talking about students with autism in terms of functioning levels. I have never been a fan of the term "high functioning autism" because if there is a "high functioning autism" there must be a "low functioning one". When students have no reliable means to communicate to us what they know, feel, understand, want -- how is it that we can come to any conclusion about their functioning level? The absence of strategies to understand how students function often leads some to the conclusion that students are "low functioning", and with that assumption, most often comes reduced and limited opportunities and expectations.

Madison's very own Judy Endow, noted author and self-advocate, has released another insightful blog entry where she talks about "high and low functioning". I hope it resonates with you as much as it does with me.